One thing to keep in mind is that "Zivilschutz" - which is the proper term - covers mostly the handling of desasters and only remotely the case of military events. They did cut costs and allowed it a generous amount of slack.
For valid details it may be advised to wait for the official announcement. The German sources differ a little as well. The plan was brought forward by the ministery of the inner and challenged by the opposition as it only will spread panic.
So far the plan seems to be to strongly advice citizens to stockpile certain food items in certain amounts.
The same was in place during the cold war times.
It is not that unusual even for peacetime. The main problems in the past decade were caused by natural desasters (e. g. floods, grid breakdowns or supply delays due to snow and ice, sudden ice layers on streets). Those events were not handled too smoothly. So it makes sense to advice stockpiling even without the thread of an invasion by the evil ones.
The news must also be seen in context with the migrant crisis, the attacks in Cologne (and a few other big cities), Würzburg, Ansbach and Munich (they had a curfew and 2300 police officers on the scene for a single shooter). The government tries to restore a feeling of safety and security for the population. There are a quite a few questionable measures taken for that purpose (e. g. the extend of security for the Octoberfest, the proposed ban for burkas and hijabs).
I think elaborating more might get too political.
I follow that topic anyway. If there is interest, I could make summaries from the German sources and post them here.