Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: Dagny

This last Saturday night some homes which were not affected in '08 were this time and we were all impacted differently. This time, as I mentioned previously, my fridge stayed on and the stovetop light stayed on. Everything else was off.

My house was built in 1989 but most of these homes are 80-100 years old, or older.

All are rowhouses.

According to this webpage you may have an electrical problem in your home which is why you are experiencing some outlets still having power. The explanation is very technical but I am sure if you called a local electrician, they could explain it much better.

Some more info.

It's not just my home that has demonstrated this phenomenon (in '08 and '16), my entire block has. I wonder if it's the same issue with Pepco that caused the Washington Monument elevator to go out at the same time as our power did Saturday night.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/15/washington-monument-re-opening-after-elevator-problems.html

Washington Monument re-opening after elevator problems

"...The park service says the closure was a result of a tripped breaker that was caused by a voltage drop of incoming power to the monument."