Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Very frustrating purchase for me. YMMV. You Americans hardly ever worry about the issues I encountered but I chalk this up to lessons learned. I point out these issues so someone else doesn't have to deal with them.

Never buy from an American company disguised as a Canadian company on Amazon.CA! The product shipped out of Seattle. The duty charges cost me an extra $77 I didn't count on, I should have refused the COD delivery. The whole purpose of the dot.ca site was to eliminate duty and import charges by having items ship within the country. This isn't even an American product but a UK product and manufacturer so I have an argument with Customs on this as US duties should not have been applicable at all! Note: after I purchased on Amazon I found out that I could have bought the unit $20 cheaper from an Ontario dealer and eliminated all of the issues I had so Amazon was definitely not the cheapest option at all. But since I already registered the unit and paid the duties it didn't make sense to return it and go with the other dealer.

I hope you contacted Amazon.ca in regards. I see the product you mentioned and added it to my shopping cart and there is no prompt of any import (duty) costs. I had something similar happen to me last year and I disputed it with Amazon and is apparently against their terms for the seller to not warn buyers that their purchase is import and subject to duty. As Dougwalkabout mentioned, that PLB should be duty free anyway. Contact Amazon. If they give you the runaround, email jeff@amazon.com (Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.) Believe it or not, he actually reads and acts (promptly) on customer emails.

Another link in regards to emails to Bezos.

John Lubbock