Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Originally Posted By: Ian
In a city near here three or so years ag,o a couple of streets lost power for a few days. Everybody was complaining to each other, but it continued. Eventually someone called the DNO to find out how much longer, to discover nobody had told them! It was a simple fault fixable in a few minutes. Always call the power supplier.

I am intrigued that your stove and fridge still worked. Why?

My high school was fed by two different grid circuits. The second circuit was part of the measures associated with being an emergency evacuation center. I'm assuming it was the same type of thing that prevents hospitals and other critical facilities from losing power in an outage. It's possible that the fridge and stove was wired to an oddball second circuit instead of the main grid.

This is the second time that my block has had this partial outage effect while others around us are completely blacked out.

In 2008 (also on the hottest day of that year), about half the homes on my block were affected and we all lost most, but not all, of our electricity. We all lost a/c. In that partial outage, I lost everything but some ceiling lights and electrical outlets in the living room -- which allowed me to plug my refrigerator into the living room which was a great blessing because it took 13 hours to get the full power back.

This last Saturday night some homes which were not affected in '08 were this time and we were all impacted differently. This time, as I mentioned previously, my fridge stayed on and the stovetop light stayed on. Everything else was off.

My house was built in 1989 but most of these homes are 80-100 years old, or older.

All are rowhouses.