This is a very detailed account (published this January) by the survivor of his emergency deep in the wilderness in September 2014.

The first 2/3 of his (solo) hike description are before he started getting in trouble. So if you read his account (below) and want to get to the ETS part, it starts in the 3rd paragraph of Day 3.

I'm rusty on my first aid, but it sounds like heat exhaustion/stroke causing nausea, leading to being unable to keep water down, leading to dehydration.

A passing hiker took him to water, and next morning, the passerby used his DeLorme AG-00987-201 inReach SE to summon help (which took quite a while - they were pretty deep in the back country).

http://www.wigginoutside.com/2016/01/stevens-to-snoqualmie-or-help-me-rhonda.html

Sadly for my signal mirror obsession - when he first tried his signal mirror on commercial aircraft, no luck. When he tried to vector in the helicopter, it was overcast. Which is why a PLB/SPOT/InReach should part of your kit (as it is now of his).