This sort of stuff strikes me as "hobbies that may boost morale in an emergency." I wouldn't learn an instrument just because it is a skill that might help me get through a bug out/bug in. It's just too much work, too arduous, and too hard if you don't like it. So whoever reading this thread, don't rush out and buy a recommended beginner harmonica/recorder/whatever for the purpose of "survival."

On the other hand, if playing an instrument is already something you like, by all means go ahead. It will enrich your life, bring pleasure to those around you (if you're decent), etc. Bringing some relief during a disaster is just a bonus.

Since we have talked about coordinating with neighbors and how survival is easier if you work with others, what about some form of community music? Amateur chorus, band, orchestra, etc. Before the invention of electricity, that was one way for people to entertain themselves when professional entertainers weren't around (or were too expensive). In some sort of prolonged disaster, stuff like that may help people feel a little better.