Few things in this world frighten me more than the mob mentality. Mobs are unpredictable, indescriminate, cannot be reasoned with and potentially deadly in any number of ways...

Even if you appear to blend in, the simplest trigger like being jostled by the person next to you or being seen trying to exit the area might earn the stereotypical finger point and "here's one get `em" reaction. Just ask the truck driver in LA.

The sheer physical press of a stampeding mob can be even more deadly, even if originally peaceful. Just ask the families of the 96 at Hillsborough.

Even the response from law enforcement can turn deadly, even if not meant to be so. Beyond stray rounds or tanks rolling over protestors, law enforcement intervention also runs the risk of agitating or stampeding the mob (see above).

So I tell you unashamedly that few things frighten me more than a potential mob scene. We avoid black Friday mass shopping mobs, and have to think hard about certain live sporting events. Even in theaters we tend to locate exits and place ourselves near them just in case. We are not hermits by any means and fully engage with the world today. But we try to be hyper aware of potential mob scenes.

Best advice for riots/mobs...? Don't be there.

Edited by MedB (07/18/16 10:48 AM)
Edit Reason: Grammar