Another lost hiker. This one with a happy ending compliments of an emergency whistle. From the pictures and other stories on the internet, it looked like she fetched up 100ft down a 800 ft cliff, and crawled back up about 50 ft. before she got stuck. None of the pictures showed the cliff face in sunlight, so I'm guessing it was North facing (no sunlight for mirror flash).

I was unable to find any information regarding if she had a proper flashlight, or it simply wasn't powerful enough to find the trail in the fading light. It seems that a lot of people now rely on short range cell phone lights instead of dedicated flashlights/headlamps.

This was another case where relying on cell service was a major mistake. An old fashion dead man's envelope (itinerary left behind), PLB, or satellite messenger would have resulted in a faster rescue. It seams that it should almost be mandatory to have one during solo back country hikes.

Woman survives 100-foot fall while hiking in southern Utah

Quote:
Amber Kohnhorst, a nurse from Minnesota, was on her way to Utah to volunteer at the Best Friends Animal Society. She stopped in Arizona to rest at an Air B&B and decided to go for a short, sunset hike.

"I couldn’t find my footsteps and that’s when my brain went into panic mode. I tried calling 911 right away but I had no cellphone service so I needed to find my way down," Kohnhorst said.

Kohnhorst, 25, was looking for her way down Rose Cliff's Trail in Arizona when she lost her balance.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane