Originally Posted By: hikermor
It's not just Midway that is hawking relatively sub par stuff.I ...stumbled across several mirrors - mostly mirrored acrylic plastic of various sizes, down to 1.5"x 2" (that's really tiny!) and all marketed for survival usage. Two, offered by different manufacturers (egear and UST[Ultimate Survival Technologies])are plain mirrored slabs with no aperture at all, other than one at the edge for attachment of a lanyard.

Yes, my eyebrows climbed a few months ago when I saw the top item on the Signal Mirrors webpage at UST (Ultimate Survival Technologies) was their "Find-Me™ SIGNAL MIRROR", a lightweight acrylic mirror with lanyard hole only, and no signaling instructions of any kind on the package.[1]

I figure many companies sell similar items as signal mirrors because they truly don't know any better, but UST has made the StarFlash® retroreflective aimer signal mirrors since ~1992, including the "encased" StarFlash® issued by the USAF and USCG. The other two signal mirrors UST offer are the StarFlash® Micro (1.5"x2") and StarFlash® Floating Signal Mirror (that used to be sold as the "StarFlash® Ultra").

[1] I bought two "Find-Me™s", to check them out. One to keep NIB for historical purposes, the other for testing - to see if I could get aiming milage out of the lanyard hole. That's how I know there are no aiming instructions of any kind on or inside the packaging.