Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
If(!) you know the grid road system in the province it is practically impossible to get lost with a gravel grid road located every 1 or 2 miles apart going east/west and north/south which demarks the township Dominion land system.

LOL! I grew up in the same grid system. It's solid on the fertile prairies, where all-weather roads are the norm.

But when I get up into the boreal forest regions north or west of here, the place becomes lousy with seasonal logging roads and odd tracks. Easy enough for an outsider to get turned around; especially someone like me who's used to a predictable grid.

The same happens when I get into gnarly, twisty country like British Columbia, where roads follow contours and old wagon tracks. GPS would be darn handy out there -- with all of the potential pitfalls.

From my point of view, distinguishing a maintained, all-weather road from a seasonal track is critical. And, most importantly, the willingness to swallow my pride and turn back when my BS-o-meter starts tingling.