Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/death-by-gps/

Hey all, I thought I'd share an interesting piece that explores the infamous "death by GPS" phenomenon we've discussed a number of times here.

That is an excellent and very thought-provoking article, Doug, thanks very much for posting the link. So much information -- am interested to see where the research goes on whether brains are actually altered by reliance on GPS.

Love my Garmin GPS and the map-apps on my phone (IOS, Google, Waze) but my car remains well-stocked with paper maps -- local, regional and national. For any road trip to an area I'm not well-acquainted with, I study my destination and routes via Google Map on my laptop. These days I probably won't look at a paper map to plan the trip but certainly will have at least a paper road atlas in the car.

I live in DC and even around here the GPS/phone app may choose a certain route as the fastest/most direct while those of us who live here know darn good and well that the best route is a different one.

There will be many more deaths "by GPS" before the technology improves enough to calculate the many variables that can go into whether a route on a particular day is really the best bet for a particular vehicle and its occupants.

Meanwhile.... be prepared.