Originally Posted By: Alex
For a GHB, I don't think you really need so many cookware items to haul around. Better replace them with the ready to eat food if the weight is not a concern. The steel bottle is all what you might ever need for a makeshift cooking, chocolate mixing, or water treatment (by the way I love your idea of a long spoon to match the bottle!).

Clothes - consider sturdy work gloves, perhaps of a thick leather to handle hot stuff. Kudos on Balaclava! It's the best piece of survival clothing to have - extremely versatile. Depending on your path consider some lightweight overboots (i.e Tyvek) great to traverse muddy trails.

For the self defense, the padlock on a bandanna is redundant if you don't really need one to use with a locker. You might already have even better "heavy piece on a rope" to secure your bike at the street. Personally, the only bag I'm EDCing now is a small sturdy rip-stop nylon bag, collapsing into very small pouch when not needed. In case I need an impact weapon, I can quickly load it with hard, pointy, and heavy stuff in my pockets (i.e. you can use that steel bottle full of water for that). It's much better than a bandanna in combative handling as well. Such a bag is also good to have if you plan on foraging/scavenging along the way. In fact, it's my lunch bag, but also it works well as a folding umbrella drip stopper, and handy at the shops, after the plastic bags ban was enforced in California, it fits up to 4 six-packs easily smile Also a high lumen blinding flashlight can be considered a self defense item even if without "tactical" features.

I didn't notice any emergency power supply to charge your phone and flashlights on the list. A 10 A/h Lithium USB brick should be sufficient, but not sure what your flashlights take. Maybe you'd better go with something like a 4AA GoalZero Guide 10.

I am definitely cookware heavy, Alex. I've been using this pack set-up for playing in the woods with my kids, and we do love cooking out there. I may stop for a brew up on my commute, but don't need so much gear for that.

Work gloves - for sure! DUH! I totally forgot them. Thanks! I may end up wearing them when I bike, but will keep them in the pack for clearing obstacles, etc. when I'm on foot.

Using my water bottle or a small bag for protection is a great idea. If I have my bike, I'll have my bike lock on a chain, which will work well. Thankfully, my route isn't in the rough part of town, but a girl can't be too careful.

Rechargeable batteries for my lights is a great idea, and one I hadn't thought of. Thanks! I'll get one to keep in my locker at work. (My headlamp and mag both work on AAAs, so I'll make sure my new headlamp does as well.) I have a USB charger (Wall and car) for my MP3 player/FM radio, but the connector may or may not work for a new cell phone. I'll make sure to cover both. THnaks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA