Looks like an old thread got resurrected here. But it got me thinking. My conclusion is that a city is the very last place I'd want to be trying to survive in. I have very little faith in people behaving civilly. I fear many people would try to take advantage of the crisis and prey on others.

So I'd think I'd want gear to help me get OUT of the city. But I don't know what that would be. Good shoes, as several have already mentioned. Maps, which have been mentioned too. I would certainly want a firearm, but air travel can preclude that if you don't have the extra time to go through the additional security stuff before boarding. Or if you don't want to check bags. Or if your destination is a gun-hating place like New Jersey or Washington D.C. So in the general case, you're probably not going to have any reasonable personal protection. Which may make my goal of getting out of the city more difficult.

This is a tough one. Considering wilderness survival is much easier. But unrealistic for the most part. Most of us would be stuck in a mob of others trying to survive too, mixed in with the criminal element that wish to take advantage. Yeuch.