My point is: if you carry a smartphone, and fond of the ETS mindset - invest in a decent Nav software for your phone and learn to use it. You cannot EDC all the topo maps even for your state on paper.

To the advantages of paper maps - they are nothing compared to the advantages of having a smartphone with hundreds of apps and digitized papers and a solar charger. I would not mind traveling without a paper map, rather substituting it with a roll of TP smile And there is no harm dunking the phone in a proper protective shell into salt water. The modern SuperAMOLED screen is totally fine to use in direct sunlight. For the fire making, if nothing else available, you can use the electric power of your phone's battery or charger, it's far more superior to a sparkler or friction methods, so the tinder quality is not that crucial (another argument to my list of ideal ETS smartphone properties on the other tread - removable battery).

By the way, any powerful smartphone is quite a decent hand warmer and flashlight so you may need less urgency in making a fire smile