One of the best features of ETS is its apolitical nature - just a legitimate concentration on preparation for life'reasonably predictable emergencies. Years ago, I began my career working at a fairly isolated location - Wupatki National Monument (about fifty miles N of Flagstaff, AZ). It made a lot of sense to keep extra groceries, etc. on hand and be ready for relative isolation, perhaps with park visitors to care for. My boss was Mormon and I understood he kept a year's supply of food on hand - seemed like a good idea. I simply got into the habit of being ready to stand alone for a fairly reasonable length of time (at one point in my life I was 100 miles from the nearest grocery store). Even now in town, when there is a very good store about two miles away, i am sure we could go for at least a month with what is stored in our pantry.

I simply reject the political, extreme points of view that often appear on "survivalist" forums. The model they often propose is not really realistic and is frequently historically inaccurate. Of course, there is money to be made by selling all the necessary items, so the flames are fanned regularly.