Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Hmm, I suspect some of us have widely differing notions of 'SHTF'.

I'm sure that is the root of many of the differences of opinion here.

Yup, and no doubt the notion on what does or does not constitute a SHTF situation is subjective to some degree. Which invariably biases our views and expectations - taking just one particular argument as an example:

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Keeping kids calm in a bug-in or shelter situation has a huge impact on them and on the morale of others. I've seen this first-hand when my CERT operated a shelter during a large-scale natural disaster, so I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here.

My experience with shelters is a little different. Many years ago when I was a kid, my family and I needed to take refuge inside an air shelter on several occasions due to the threat of aerial bombing. War was exciting enough for youngsters like myself, but keeping the kids calm inside the shelter was really the least of everyone's concern. People were more worried about keeping the air pumps and generators running, and keeping the fingers crossed that no bombs or missiles land on our little piece of turf (none did - the nearest impact was several miles away). I think that qualifies more or less as a SHTF situation even though it could've been a whole lot worse at the time, and for many it was.

IMHO a lot of people these days, at least in the comfort of civilization, tend to confuse the difference between "inconvenience" and actual life-threatening "SHTF". That's probably also the reason why we'll have to agree to disagree on some counts, and that's perfectly ok. No need to prove anything and no axe to grind.

Realistically speaking, for most Westerners these days the threat of actual "SHTF" is (thankfully still) very remote and something they are highly unlikely to encounter on their home turf at the present.

IF it comes to proper SHTF though the real priorities will become very clear very fast. At the same time, what might seem important, even essential right now may turn out to be largely irrelevant. IMHO smartphones, tablets and computers in general are not really "essential" survival gear, simply because there are other things more immediately useful or important in procuring the basic necessities like water, food, shelter, health and security.

But nice to have - certainly. Same as a comfortable couch, for example. Which I would take over a smartphone loaded to the hilt with the latest games and apps if I had to stay inside an air raid shelter again for some time. smile

YMMV! cool