Tom_L. My take on the SHTF situation is that it relates to a sudden and serious disruption of our normal life (i.e. a massive quake, when you are left with just all you have on you or were able to grab and run from an immediate danger), which may or may not to be followed by a short or long period of TEOTWAWKI living environment, when people around are suffering but eventually adapting. A lightweight pocket smart device can be of a great help for both. I love the chaosmagnet's multi tool analogy, I would just add "with thousands of replaceable blades". So, I don't see any impact of misunderstanding of the terminology here on the usability of such a device.

Regarding the usability. In the past 4 years, after getting my Note 3 smartphone, I'm using my superpowerful "32" QHD screen latest i7 32GB RAM, quad RAID0 SSD, 2x4Gb Nvidia SLI, 2kW PSU Windows PC monster" only for immersive virtual reality games, processing HD video, CAD drawing, and micro controllers programming (the later will change soon as well). The rest of everyday and work related tasks, including the 3D printing, are perfectly handled by that phone only (sometimes with a Bluetooth full keyboard and/or Chromecast dongle), and that's a 2 generations old model gadget. I'm even coding Android apps for my Android phone right on that phone.

Another well obscured benefit of the phone vs rugged laptop is the boot time. On any laptop it's too long for a practical on the go use even on a RAID0 SSD equipped laptop. If you are referring to the lack of the screen size (legit for the large map use or an aging eyesight) - the modern phone has a true HD and even QHD resolution, which is the same or much better than what an average laptop can offer. Just get a +2 reading glasses and you have a crisp 32" screen in front of you (I've got this modern marvel, even though I'm 20/20). You can connect a normal keyboard and mouse, if you wish, as well.

For the aluminum foil - I've explained already: that's really just elementary physics. Try to Google that avoiding preppers' websites wink

The rest of your concerns is very well explained by chaosmagnet, I hope.