Happy to answer that Tom

My main reason for having this with me everyday is the fenix e01 and the whistle. The light gets used very often, the whistle not so much but I like to have it handy and on my person every day.

As for the firesteel (and the pill fob with tinder), it is a handy back-up to whatever other fire starters I may carry (speaking of which i need to get back to carrying a Bic lighter daily). It is also just easier to leave it on the chain all the time, so whenever I need to convert it to neck carry for outdoor activities there's no "hmmmm, now where did I put that firesteel?" moment. Instead, it's simply a matter of pulling the chain from my pocket, untangling it, putting it around my neck and bam, I'm good to go.

All this said, I recently acquired a new fire starter which I have considered adding to the neck chain to replace the firesteel and tinder-in-pill-fob combo. It is the ust micro spark wheel , I picked this up on a clearance deal, the package had the micro-spark wheel, extra flints, tinder, all in a large (not too large tho), orange, watertight aluminum case with carabiner clip attached (you can see it here by scrolllling the page down to the fire starting stoke kit). I haven't added it yet because I haven't had enough time to practice with it, it's a bit small and fidgety for my butterfingers (i'm hoping practice will remedy this also), and the micro spark is so small I'm afraid I will lose it if it's dropped while trying to use it.

Anyway, hope this answers your questions.

Standard disclaimers apply, no affiliations with any products or sites linked to or mentioned.