Montanero, you make a lot of good points and I really enjoy reading your posts. Maybe I'm nitpicking, it's just that I'm not at all convinced a bedroll is lighter per se than a sleeping bag. More like the opposite. My go-to 3-season sleeping bag these days is nothing out of the ordinary. An older compact sized Ferrino, synthetic, weighs about one pound. With an extra liner (which weighs literally next to nothing) it's plenty good enough for temperatures below freezing. Also, the exterior is water-repellent/pretty much totally rainproof.

To achieve the same amount of comfort and protection from the elements I'd need to carry at least two good sized woolen blankets and some sort of waterproof cover, poncho, bivy bag or equivalent to keep me dry (the blanket itself isn't going to do that).

All of the above combined weighs a lot more and takes up more room than my sleeping bag (with or without the additional liner). For the amount of weight saved, I can easily afford to take along a medium sized backpack too, and I'm still carrying less weight than the improvised bedroll thingy.

Now, I do agree that old-school camping can be a lot of fun. I've spent many a night under the stars wrapped in nothing more than a woolen blanket. Most memorably back in North Africa. Those woolen blankets reeked of diesel and motor oil (no wonder, being kept in the back of a beat-up Toyota), never managed to get rid of the smell. smile But for "serious" outdoor expeditions, give me a decent sleeping bag instead.

Oh well, maybe I'm just getting old and soft! wink