Coffeeee...

Good coffee too, not that stuff you find preground in a 2# can at the supermarket. Arabica beans, medium or dark roast, still in the bean so you grind it just before brewing. The latest container of beans I've opened are a medium roast 100% Kona; normally I brew up 100% Colombian medium roast, but I saw the Kona on the shelf and went for it. Kona is spendy though, I'll go back to Colombian Supremo when the Kona is gone.

I'm not even close to over-the-top on coffee, but I prefer good coffee to flat. I brew it manually with a small pot. I bring the water almost to a boil and pour it over the ground beans into a separate pot (Melitta pot & filter combo). From reading on various sites, the water hitting the coffee should be between 195 and 205 degrees F. Below 195 the coffee will be weak, above 205 the coffee will become more acidic.

The reason I don't use an automatic drip machine is that the water goes into the middle and those grounds get used up, while the grounds on the fringe get used less. With the manual system, I can pour the water such that all the grounds are used evenly. I can also control temperature better.

Dad made coffee with an old percolator. Essentially boiling the coffee over and over, strong but I have no idea how acidic. I couldn't drink it. It would be interesting to compare pH of coffee made with a percolator and coffee made as described above.

Mmmm, it's almost time....