BacPacJac,

It is not cheap, but you can't go wrong with Gore-Tex. I have a 20-something year old Gore-Tex parka that has never leaked--even in torrential downpours.

I also have a newer (but still old) ultra-light rain jacket by LL Bean that doesn't list the name of the membrane lining inside the jacket. It has never leaked either. This is probably 15 years old. The newer LL Bean raingear has a ceramic coating and they have a whole line of options. I highly recommend getting something with pit zippers for ventilation. I also like the ultra-lights because if you get something with insulation, you will often be too hot and start to sweat. With an ultra-lite you can add insulation or not. Make sure you get it large enough to wear a layer underneath it. LL Bean jackets are a little large just for this reason.

The great thing about LL Bean is that everything is guaranteed, period. And they have free shipping. The downside is you don't get to try things on before buying (well, unless you go to Maine), but you can return and exchange and the shipping both ways is on them. Hmm, maybe you have an import tax since you are in Canada?

I have no relationship with LL Bean other than being a very happy customer.

Ponchos can be nice too. There are special backpacker ponchos that are longer in the back so they can cover the pack and still reach your knees. As mentioned before they can also be used as rain flies and ground covers. And, of course, they will keep your pack nice and dry. If you have the time and the funds, maybe you could make test hikes in the rain with each.

----------------
Herman,

Breathable, does not mean that they have to leak. Some products use breathable waterproof fabrics but then don't seal the seams (I can't imagine why), or maybe it was just part of a bad batch of material. To make sure it was not sweat you were experiencing, you can confirm that it is leaking by draping some of the jacket over a clear glass bowl, and pouring some water on it. If it is leaking it will be easy to see through the bowl.

Breathable fabrics may also leak after being washed with soap and not well rinsed. The soap residue will reduce the surface tension of the water which allows it to penetrate the small pores of the lining. This is why you should use a soap specifically for waterproof fabrics.