Originally Posted By: Mark_F
Thanks BPJ, I was hoping you'd find the info useful as well. The frogg toggs I have currently are very lightweight, but they don't seem to pack down very small, but maybe that's a relative thing. I'm hoping a poncho might be the optimum mix between keeping dry, being lightweight and packing small (or at least smaller than the current rain gear anyway).

I haven't seen Frog Toggs around here but I haven't been looking for them either. I will definitely keep a look out for them.

I use ponchos in my kits, but not as primary rain gear, particularly if hypothermia is a risk.

I've got a few rip-stop GI style ponchos, and one ruberized German army issue poncho, and they are great in a pinch for emergency use. I like their weight and packability, that it will keep my core and my pack dry, and you can make a good shelter out of one or two of them but, as as has been pointed out above, I've never found them dry enough in a serious rain to use them when I really need dedicated rain gear. I find the water runs off and soaks my pants, and I also usually end up with wet sleeves. I go by the old adage that there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. wink

On the other hand, as someone pointed out in the WTC trip thread, in serious rain, you might be best to plan to be wet, unless you got a serious rain suit.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA