Joblot,

I've had several bad experiences with natural materials. I've owned the Air Force Survival Knife, Kabars, Randall (bought used actually, it already had been fairly abused) and numerous hunting/skinning knives with either natural material handles or sheaths. I've enjoyed them all, and they all have thier place, but in a survival knife, I'd much rather have synthetic/man made materials.

I've been poked in the leg during a tirp and fall incident where my kabar went through the sheath. The handle on my AFSK began to rot and mildew despite my trying to care for it with oils and proper leather conditioning materials. And I've had several stag handles on skinning knives either chip, break, or split altogeather from simple drops.

Keep in mind, I use my knives a lot. Although lately I haven't seen the need for a fixed blade survival knife while carrying a quality locking folder (and usually several other folding impliment like Leatherman Wave, or SAKs.) and a quality machete.

When I do choose to carry a fixed blade it is the USMC Ka-Bar Next Generation. The reason for this is that everything is synthetic. Handles, sheath, everything. And they're reasonable priced so I'm not afraid to carry it afield.

I do totally agree that the natural materials are much better to look at and feel. My KaBar is often cold, and always a bit ugly. But the bottom line for me is reliability.

Thoughts, anyone?

--Luke