Jeanette

I respect you for trying to prepare and for also looking after your mother. I do think that the people at your Synagogue might be of some real assistance in a true emergency. The most important thing that we never talk about on this forum - the value of having a support network of people around you.

I would have to think that Florida has some type of emergency plan to set up makeshift hospitals - in the event of a major emergency. That information could be very important. You might want to ask your local authorities what they know about this.

Doctors can be frustrating - they often prescribe only small amounts of meds. If you have a critical need for a certain medication, you really need a supply for 6 months ... or maybe a year. I can't tell you how to go about getting this ... but I think it would be a tremendously helpful if you did.

Take a look at other threads on this web site. there is excellent advice about food for your pantry) that lasts for months. Take a look at British "fruit cake" - that stuff lasts for months and months. It was mailed to British troops in Europe during the world wars. I also recommend you stockpile some concentrated lemon juice ... not frozen. The stuff on the shelves of the supermarket. When the human body goes for a long time with limited food - you start craving fresh fruit. A little lemon juice is a lifesaver.

I will avoid all political comments. But after seeing the crisis that is starting to engulf Saudi Arabia and Iran tonight (al-Nimr execution), it is not hard to imagine a lot more bloodshed in the Middle East in 2016. A major crisis there, and a global economic downturn - these are very plausible possibilities.

Good luck!!!