I travel quite a bit for work and have been through two hotel fires, both in the middle of the night while sleeping.

• I always count the doors to the fire exit.
  • The only fire exit I ever found that wouldn't open was in the UK, and I kicked the door open, breaking the lock, during what turned out to be a fire drill. I dared the building owner to make an issue out of it (it was a lot of years ago, and it's possible I wasn't as pleasant about it as I could have been). In the US I don't worry about hotel fire escapes being locked.
  • I do check for fire extinguisher locations, but keep in mind that if you can't knock a fire down with a single extinguisher, the correct protocol is to drop the fire extinguisher and run away screaming like a little girl.
  • I always have pants, shoes, shirt, and appropriate outerwear lined up and ready to go before I go to sleep in a hotel. I also set up a flashlight on moonlight mode, somewhere that I can see it from the bed. It's near my wallet, keys, shoes, and so forth.
  • At offices, conferences, and the like, I never leave my keys or wallet behind anywhere, not even at my desk. If a fire alarm goes off while away from your desk, being able to get in my car to stay warm has made a big difference for me a few times.

Never ignore a fire alarm.