In my family we have a standing rule when checking into a hotel/motel with inside-opening room doors (as opposed to doors that open directly to the outside parking lot) -

The first thing when entering the room is to clear it with gun in hand.

The second thing is to go into the hall and count the number of doorways between our room and the fire exit. You need to count them because you may be crawling to the exit on hands and knees thru a dark smoke-filled hall.

The third thing is to go to the fire exit and make sure it opens.

The fourth thing is to locate the nearest fire extinguisher or hose.

We always keep our keys and wallets by the room door in case we have to get out in a hurry.

And lastly, we never, never, ignore a fire alarm in any building. I have been in 'important' meetings at work when the alarm went off. "Oh, it's always doing that." Everybody else just sat there. I got up and left. I caught hell for it later, but the budget meeting just isn't that important.

I had to go to meetings and seminars in many hotel conference rooms. The first thing I always did was find the fire exit.

White Plains, NY Stouffer's Hotel Fire, Dec 1980

VICTIMS DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE.

White Plains (AP) -- Business executives gathered for meetings at a hotel here "didn't have a chance" when an electrical fire raced through conference rooms with heat so intense it melted walls, fire officials said.

The blaze yesterday at the suburban Stouffer's Inn killed 26 people and injured at least 40.
"The fire was so strong, so fast, that it was like a bomb exploding," said FRANZ EICHENAURER, an executive chef for General Foods.

"It appears it flashed up suddenly and these people didn't have a chance," said Purchase Fire Chief ROBERT MAKOWSKI.

One Woman Dies.

GARY PAPARO, the Westchester County medical examiner, said today the 26 victims worked for Arrow Electronics Inc. and Nestle Co. Inc. One was a woman and the other 25 were men.

The medical examiner estimated it will be two to four days before names are released.

PAPARO also said all died within two or three minutes of the start of the fire and were killed by smoke inhalation with carbon monoxide in the smoke.

"The bodies were cherry-red and showed inhalation of soot deep into the airways of their lungs" characteristics of death by smoke poisoning, PAPARO said.

"Charred badly"

Story continues at -

www3.gendisasters.com/new-york/4265/white-plains,-ny-stouffer%2526%2523039%3Bs-hotel-fire,-dec-1980