Quite the choice for a hike!

I am probably one of the few on this forum that has hiked the WCT and that was about 15 years ago. Even though we went near the end of June, unfortunately for us, it was cold, wet and miserable and we almost bailed a couple of times. I have no desire to do the trail again as I am not fond of humid rain forest hiking for days on end, even if the scenery and experience is outstanding of which the WCT is known for.

Others have already given you general advise that can apply to most trails but there are many specifics to the WCT that you may already have found in your research. In your research, you will probably have read that the WCT can be a tough and demanding trail, both physically and mentally so don't take this lightly. Be prepared for rain, wind, fog, mud, high humidity (you will never feel dry), blisters and sore backs.

On the flip side, the trail can be a real scenic and enjoyable trip when the weather cooperates. Either way, if you complete the trip (many people fail) you will have a lifetime of memories and photos so take a good quality camera (not a cell phone) with extra batteries and SD cards if applicable.

It should go without saying, but I will say it anyway. You need to be in great hiking condition. This means, your body is used to carrying a pack for hours and days on end. Of course, the same goes for your feet. There is a big difference between good general walking condition and good hiking conditioned feet. Also waterproof and breathable boots are a must. You don't need big mountaineer style boots but a good mid style hiking boot will suffice. Also quick drying, synthetic clothing is a must and a light waterproof/breathable jacket will make a big difference in comfort level.

Some general links:

Parks Canada - Pacific Rim Preserve website Note that one of the pdf links has a list of rules that must be followed and Parks Canada will readily enforce if they see or hear of anyone abusing the rules.

Google search of Clubtread.com and west coast trail specific info. Clubtread is a local forum that has years of trail and hiking reports, especially from the southwestern BC and Vancouver Island areas. This is without a doubt, the best place for any up to date info. I also happen to hang out there a lot.

West Coast Trail Wikipedia page

John Lubbock