Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
In Germany they recommend to use it only in well ventilated areas and suggest to refrain from using it indoors. I take this as its not considered save to do so.


There is a lot of truth in this,
caution is warranted,
burning produces carbon monoxide,
so you need to ventilate,
have stove on stable surface,
away from curtains ,
away from pets,
don't leave fire unattended,
don't drink alcohol or stuff like that,
keep children away from stove,
use carbon monoxide / smoke detector,
have fire extinguisher ready,
...
there is risk to everything
and the cheapest legal pants smile
is to say don't take the risk at all
easier than convincing people knowitalls to take precautions
but if you take a few simple precautions risk can be minimized




This is what a book on wood/coal... cookstoves has to say about ventilation
Originally Posted By: http://www.pciaonline.org/files/Test-Results-Cookstove-Performance.pdf#page=69

Figure 20 - CO and average PM level reduction by ventilation
Closed Kitchen CO Average (ppm) 54
Hole in Roof CO Average (ppm) 18 reduction of 67%
Window and Hole in Roof CO Average (ppm) 14 reduction of 75%
Door Open CO Average (ppm) 1 reduction of 97%

Kitchen Dimensions:
10 ft (3 m) wide X 8 ft (2.4 m) deep X 6 ft (1.8 m) high X
8 ft (2.4 m) peak
Door: 2 ft (0.6 m) X 6 ft (1.8 m)
Window: 11 in (0.28 m) X 14 in (0.36 m)
Hole in Roof: 9.8 in (0.25 m) X 7.9 in (0.2 m)
Stove height: 2 ft. (0.6 m)

Book also has a Cookstove Safety Ratings worksheet


This is short preview of article that takes a closer look emissions from camping stoves in a tent sized space

Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not? Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels - Backpacking Light

I don't expect any surprises smile
burning produces emissions,
too much fuel burns more dirty,
pot sitting in flames produces more emissions,
...
you need to ventilate

update:
Originally Posted By: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning#Signs_and_symptoms

Concentration Symptoms
35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, increased heart rate, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 23 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.


Originally Posted By: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning#Causes

Concentration Source
0.1 ppm Natural atmosphere level (MOPITT)
0.5 to 5 ppm Average level in homes
5 to 15 ppm Near properly adjusted gas stoves in homes
100 to 200 ppm Exhaust from automobiles in the Mexico City central area
5,000 ppm Exhaust from a home wood fire
7,000 ppm Undiluted warm car exhaust without a catalytic converter
30,000 ppm Afterdamp following an explosion in a coal mine







Thanks EMP. Agreed - there is always risk. I tipped my alcohol stove over on the trail the other day when I set my kettle on it. Could have been a forest fire if I hadn't taken precautions before lighting it. Because I did, the half ounce of fuel just burned out harmlessly on the muddy ground in a minute or so. Had that happened on the kitchen counter..... necessary precautions are important.
_________________________
Mom & Adventurer

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA