Originally Posted By: hikermor
We are dealing with mechanical gadgets, any of which can be broken or fail for a variety of reasons. What should occur is that the user will be well versed in the proper use of the compass and map, be aware of potential problems, checking and constantly verifying. Backup strategies and ploys are always useful.

How many ways are there to determine north if your compass is on the fritz? (and the hoary "moss grows on the n side of trees" doesn't count)

Yes, there is that. Anything made by man can fail. However, liquid-filled compasses tend to be particularly fragile in my experience. The Cammenga lensatic is a much more robust design on the other hand. A definite plus in my book.

Back in the early 20th century most quality compasses were dry - no liquid, hence no stabilized floating needle, which is a minus at a first glance. On the up side though, I've tinkered with WWI-era military compasses that were still every bit as accurate as the day they left the factory. Despite all the evidence of hard use - some of those toys had been clearly carried on the battlefield and had more nicks and dings than I could count. Compare that to my pampered top-of-the-line Suunto that gave up the ghost after less than a decade of very casual, low stress service.

For some time I did a lot of hiking with an old Soviet army wrist compass. (http://www.thesovietrussia.com/genuine-soviet-military-russian-compass-handheld-wrist-new-surplus) Chunky, primitive and really weird looking, but short of running it over with a truck it could take just about any punishment in the field. So my point is, take away the liquid-filled capsule and it's going to eliminate the Nr.1 problem by far with most modern day compasses.

As far as a low tech alternative to a compass... I think we know the answer to that already. Sun, moon, stars, terrain association - if available/applicable in the first place. A big IF indeed. YMMV but in my opinion there really is no alternative to a good compass other than another compass, GPS or some equivalent modern navigation aid.