I'm going to be making my first extended trip overseas -- I'm going to Switzerland, with a detour to France (probably Paris). How should I prepare for this trip, both in terms of emergency prep and convenience? Here's my list thus far --

• Figure out how to have cell phone/mobile data access in foreign countries. Does anyone have experience with this?
  • Get local currency -- Swiss Francs and Euros.
  • I'll have to look for some sort of translation app or dictionary app. It needs to work without internet access (i.e., I can't count on being able to use Google Translate).
  • Maybe a phrasebook in case my cell phone battery ran out?
  • Look into health/accident insurance while traveling abroad (I think my current health insurance has some sort of coverage for that -- good time to find out exactly what).
  • Refill my meds
  • Transformer and power plug adapters so I can use 220V sockets with a funny shape. Will need to power a computer, recharge batteries (for cell & cameras).
  • My EDC kit
  • I don't know what sort of knife I can have/carry in those countries. I'll have my knifeless Leatherman.
  • Should I even bother with getting a SW radio??? In case things go so wrong that I can't get news from the internet (prolonged blackout) and getting news from the US (or in English) via SW would make a significant difference for me. Right now I'm leaning towards no, because if things got so bad, I don't know a radio would make much of a difference.
  • Set up home security monitoring so I can keep an eye on things at home from abroad.

Is there anything else I should do?

I realize the US State Dept. has issued a warning for international travelers until sometime in February. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for suicide bombers.