Originally Posted By: hikermor
Compass technology hasn't changed very much lately.

That's true, but unfortunately the quality of Suunto products has changed for the worse in the meantime. I bought an MC-2G many moons ago and it served me well for about a decade. I had to retire it a little while ago due to the capsule developing a huge bubble, making the compass generally useless at higher altitudes.

I was very much dismayed about the capsule leak, which happened for no good reason. When looking for a replacement compass I noticed that the newer line of Suunto products is built of inferior materials and with much less attention to detail. Instead of getting a new MC-2G I decided to buy an entirely different type of compass altogether and I haven't had any regrets about my decision since.

Anyway, the MC-2G is a superb design, possibly the most practical out there. Unfortunately, it's let down by the less than stellar build quality, which has gotten worse in recent years. The MC-2G is still a decent compass for the money, but I could not recommend it wholeheartedly any longer.