wow, lots of great information shared by everyone so far, I'm loving it and thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, I'm going to make some general comments here to hopefully help clear some things up.

First, as we're getting three bikes and our budget is fairly slim we're going for lower end bikes to start, we ordered these for like 60 bucks each on a black friday sale. The reviews on it were generally good and I grew up riding lower end bikes (huffy usually) so I know pretty much what we're getting into.

Next, our intended riding will likely be just here close to home, at local camp grounds, or on gravel type trails with the boy scout troop. The trail rides are mainly just day rides, the longest being 25 miles so far (note here, due to DS's inexperience on a bike we did not actually go on that ride we just camped and he rode a bike close to the area we camped in). When camping is involved it does not require us to have the ability to carry our camping gear on the bike with us. So my main concern is to have the tools needed to do minor repairs on our bikes when away from home, away from the campsite at the campground, or on the trail with the troop, and if it doesn't add too much weight and space wise, with the capability to make repairs on other bikes as needed on the trail with the troop. For ourselves, until we get our feet wet, I'd expect not to be more than a mile or two at most from home or camp site.

I really appreciate all the input on the bike specific stuff. I think it goes without saying I anticipate carrying other gear on my person or in a pack or possibly attached to the bike frame in a pack (options and suggestions here would be greatly appreciated as far as carry and attachment options go although I think several have already been mentioned, such as the rack, saddle bags and other assorted packs) to supplement the bike specific gear. I was thinking maybe a small pack with a hydration bladder and some of the ten essentials (plus the 11th that several folks have mentioned). Maybe an emergency blanket and a mini survival kit to round things out.

The first aid kit and helmets are great suggestions. I'm thinking knee and elbow pads and gloves might be a good idea too. I also plan to see what tools I will need specifically for repairs on our bikes, but as i mentioned above I'd also like the capability to make repairs on other bikes if it won't add to much weight to the kit (for when we ride with the troop in the future). I also noticed the bikes we ordered have very little in the way of included storage options so we'll likely be looking at getting some to attach to it (in particular a behind the seat rack). DW has already found a starter kit that includes a pump, water bottle and cage, front and rear lights and a few other doo dads for like 20 bucks.

Standard disclaimers apply to any and all products, links, etc