Originally Posted By: Tjin
If you want high reliable and low maintenance, go for enclosed parts. So rollerbrakes, interal hub gears, enclosed chains and sprockets.

My communter bike has shimano roller brakes, 3 speed shimano nexus internal hub gears, enclosed sprockets and chain. Also close fitting mudguards, bolted on led front and back lights, cargo carrier and bungees, puncture resistant tires and ofcorse a bell. All mounted on a heavy duty frame. Requires very little maintenance and keeps you clean.

True, but that also depends on where one is riding and the distances that need to be covered. It sounds like you're describing the standard Dutch bike, which is suitable for fairly short commuting distances at a leisurely pace in a not-very-hilly area and has the advantage of making it easy to ride in one's work clothing etc. Certainly the low-maintenance aspect is also helpful. However, a bike like that would not work as well for many of us in North America where distances that need to be covered tend to be longer and there may be lots of hills to contend with depending on the region. For that situation, a bike with more gears (and I think internal hubs only go up to 8-speed) and a more efficient riding position is needed. It's all about choosing the right bike for your particular application. That said, I definitely agree with you about the fenders (mudguards)! It's nice to be able to ride on wet roads without getting dirty. Having a rack for cargo is also highly recommended. On that note, for those who may be picking out a bike that they intend to use for any commuting/transportation purposes: Make sure it has attachment points for a rack and fenders…many bikes nowadays do not (most road bikes, for example). Riding with a backpack is really uncomfortable and completely unnecessary if you set your bike up properly.