Quote:
In a large-scale emergency how can I access the Internet?

You probably won't be able to.

I have just had a electrical power outage, which is the first time in more than 20 years. I was reading this when the power grid went dowm.

http://www.debka.com/newsupdatepopup/139...ers-nuclear-war

I was suddenly overcome with the 'Oh Sh&t' moment. First thing was to get hold of a torch. A big flashlight is a lot easier to find in the pitch dark that an EDC sized one.
Internet connection went down despite having UPC battery backup.
I checked out side to see how far the blackout went. I did have some binoculars to hand to check if some their were any lights in the distance. It was pretty strange outside. It is now the middle of the night in the winter time here in Scotland, completely overcast with low cloud and it should have been in total darkness but there was a eerie sky glow. This actually made me even more nervous as I am aware of Star Fish Prime. It was easier to walk around outside than in a full moonlit night. All I could hear was an alarm going off in the distance.
I went to check the telephone and radio. No telephone dial tone.
Things were now getting a little stressful as the telephone should have been working until I realised they were all Cordless Phone.
I connected up my VOIP handset from my Internet router to the land line and got a dial tone. The first good sign and there hadn't been any large blindingly bright explosions so far after 10-15 minutes. Time to check the radios. I checked 2 radios but the both the radios had flat batteries. My bad. I swapped out the batteries for some Primary Lithiums and the Radio was still working. The power came back on soon afterwards.
Internet Access was the last thing on my mind.
The UK is once again deciding to go to war in the middle east today in a worsening geopolitical climate than Able Archer in 1983.
Yes I did panic somewhat tonight.