You know, there's a certain irony in this. While it is upsetting to see this going on in a place like Paris, imagine living in Baghdad, or Kabul, or Damascus, or Beirut? These places have been under siege from terrorists for well over a decade. These things happen regularly there, and the civilians face this sort of threat daily. But unless an attack is exceptionally horrific, when do we hear about these?

There is a thin veil of comfort masquerading as security covering us. It gets pierced once in a while, and we get butt hurt and indignant that these barbarians and fanatics have the gall to threaten us and disrupt our lives. We are shocked when they perpetrate "acts of evil" on our sensibilities. For much of the world, they can only hope for peace of mind once in a while.

I'm no one special, I just learnt one day what it feels like to run like hell for your life without a means to defend yourself, and see people around you die. I know I'm not the only one here. I would prefer not to go through that again, ever. But I know I probably will.