I like to see videos of ideas like this one. Helps me think out of the box. Bet the ultra-light folks might derive the most benefit out of this little gizmo. Hard to justify buying two when the price of one is pretty exorbitant for most, however.

Not certain if the SurvivalResources site sells those magnesium pencil sharpeners but it might be fun to tinker around with one to come up with a DIY version.

I don't carry around a huge ferrocerium rod and striker because I don't have that much call for starting a fire going to the grocery store but after practicing a bit, I know that the little Exotac I carry would work if I needed it. Never know when an old gal might have to McGuyver something... BTW,I'm always ready with my upgraded Doug Ritter pouch, too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is no one size fits all, all of the time, some ideas are for more folks, some for less folks. Everyone has to evaluate their anticipated needs and think through what they may need, though it might not fit the needs and skills of more experienced members.

I love hearing from all the different members in their diverse circumstances and what equipment/ideas they employ; single folks, soldiers/sailors, vacationers, pilots, BacPacJac, Blast, ( I still miss Old Bald Guy, too.) I really appreciate learning from the folks, here, even though I rarely have anything to contribute. Oh, it doesn't hurt to love gizmos and gadgets, either.