Originally Posted By: Alex

For the free CAD solution I would recommend the DesignSpark Mechanical. It has a lot of professional features, easy to comprehend, has fast growing community, and quite good for a beginner overall. The SolidWorks is ultimate solution, but expensive.

I never heard of a 3D printing filament for printing metal casting moulds. Obviously, a typical 3D printer is a relatively low heat system. The closest available is liquid silicone printers, but they are quite different from regular ones (more complex cold liquid extruder is required). But, sure thing, you can use a 3D printed model to make an old school sand or silicone mould for casting. There are completely water soluble filaments available, used for printing pre-assembled things (i.e. a mechanical pen mechanism) in a dual extruder setups (another printer upgrade).

Thanks for the information about DesignSpark CAD. I've worked with Solidworks, among others, and I've found it good for one-off work.

I think something was lost in translation when I asked about casting. It's not the molding material, but a hard, low temperature wax. It's formed into the net shape, embedded in the molding material, and then burned out leaving a perfect cavity for the molten metal. After the metal is poured and cooled, the mold is broken and the part removed. It's used to make metal parts with extremely complex geometry i.e. turbine blades with internal coolant conduits.

Up until now, it required assembling individual wax parts to make the wax investment. 3-D printers could manufacture the investment as a single piece if extrudable wax media was available.

EDIT: Saw your update. That was the information I was looking for. Thanks.

Don't worry about the "investment" nomenclature. Technical terms tend to have very specific meaning that don't necessarily line up with the layman's definition. Get an engineer to explain the difference between load (total external force as a vector), pressure (external force per unit area as a scalar), and stress (internal force per unit area as a vector or a scalar depending on the definition) if you want an example.

Edited by Mark_R (11/03/15 07:49 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane