Originally Posted By: Tjin
I noticed that even my polarpure bottles can be a pain to store. The iodine still somehow escape. ... So just beware of the corrosiveness of iodine crystals, when storing long term.

Thanks for the warning! I guess I've just been lucky so far, since I haven't had any leakage from any Polar Pure bottles that I've carried while backpacking (yet!), although I have dealt with leaking 100% DEET bug juice, which can also damage all kinds of things from plastic eyeglass lenses and watch crystals to high tech outdoor fabrics if it gets on them.

My idea was to recycle the small brown glass iodine tablet bottles I currently have for use with iodine crystals scavenged from a Polar Pure bottle, on the theory that if they were okay for iodine tablet storage, then they ought to be okay for iodine crystals and water storage, too. What I'm looking for is something very small, about the size of a bottle of iodine tablets, but that will last for a very long time in some small survival kits that will likely be stored without much if any periodic maintenance.

Edited by JeffMc (10/10/15 05:14 PM)