Tom:
I can provide some answers your looking for.

Duty belt: Is basically a trousers belt in black leather (usually basketweave pattern) about 1.5" wide and besides holding up pants provides some (minimal) back support. You can normally hang a two-way radio on it without causing the radio to bend the belt. You can find them at most uniform stores and on-line. Try www.qmuniforms.com for example, or try a google search for police, fire, EMS uniforms.

Equipment Holster: A nylon or leather pouch, which holds scissors, knife, flashlight etc. You can find this item also through some uniform companies such as www.galls.com

I would not recommend the electronic version of the Littman Cardiology Stethoscope. EMS is a brutal work environment. You are exposed to things from temperature changes to running into something, all of which will contribute to problems for you. Besides, even with the best of co-workers, these types of scopes have a unique tendency to strangely enough grow legs and walk off. Only to show up months later in the back of a rival services ambulance.

Glove Holder: A small pouch, usually nylon, which can hold between one and two pairs of gloves. Some of the newer EMS cargo trousers have a small outer pocket on the outside, which holds gloves. If your son will be working for a service which provides uniform style shirts, he can carry a pair in one of the pockets.

Other equipment I recommend:

The most important tool has already been mentioned in these forums. The one between the ears and the knowledge, or rather wisdom within.

Boots: Already mentioned.

Good Trauma Shears: Cheaper than a Benchmade Rescue Hook.

A good quality knife: Very self explanatory and covered elsewhere better than I can.

Multitool: I have never carried one, so I cannot say anything here, but others have, with success.

Notebook: Can be used for a lot of things and is better than trying to remember all of those blood pressures, pulse rates, etc. as he becomes a paramedic, he’ll value having to recall when and how much dose of a drug he gave. When writing a patient care report, he’ll have patient names etc.

2 Pens: Why two? As Doug and others have said, “things have a way of conking out at the worst possible moment!”

Pencil: Why? Refer to the pens above. For ease, I carry a combo pen and pencil set and then add an additional pen. OBTW, my partners don’t always have a pen available.

Change of Uniform: If not required get in the habit. You never know when a patient will either vomit, or you will get blood on you. Working a whole shift without a change is taking too great a risk.

A couple of SHOUT or similar wipes these can be carried in a shirt pocket and used for cleaning the uniform of minor problems.

Small bottle of Purell, or other Gelled alcohol. The service I work for and additionally the state (Idaho) requires a hand sanitizer. WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER EACH PATIENT CONTACT! Very important, even with gloves.

Patient care cheat sheets: Such as InforMeds (www.emsguides.com) pocket notebook for EMS, with basic, intermediate, paramedic and RN versions. Again, trying to remember what to do at 0h 3 hundred after being woken up is nerve rattling at best. I know I have done this as a volunteer since, well let’s just say awhile.

Any more questions please ask!

Take care,
Stargazer