The <A href="http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276358#Post276358">21st-centuries migrant's checklist</A> got me thinking about charging technologies that can be used "on the go". I don't want to hijack the thread, so I created this one.

By "On the go" I mean:
1) Small/Light enough to carry in an INCH backpack along with the rest of your stuff.
2) Does not required anything supported by infrastructure (i.e. electrical sockets, car jacks, etc.).

To the best of my knowledge, there's
1) Direct solar chargers - Charges the device directly from solar panels
2) Indirect solar chargers - Charges a battery from solar panels, which is then used to charge a device
3) Direct crank chargers - Charges the device directly from soa hand cranked dynamo.
4) Indirect crank chargers - Charges a battery from a hand cranked dynamo, which is then used to charge a device
5) Thermo-electric - practical power PowerPot V. Turns your dinner into a battery.

While not quite independent of infrastructure, worth a look anyway
6) Disposable battery adaptors - Commercial or homemade. When mixed with a couple of battery adaptors, can charge the device off of commonly available batteries.
7) Big honking (>10Ah) backup battery - Can extend the battery life by a factor of 6 or more.

What am I forgetting?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane