Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Buy the biggest capacity microsd card you can find and load it up with as much data as you can. This lets you have some necessary information available for when you don't have internet.

The trend in phones seems to be to do away with the microsd card slot. For various reasons, I find this a bad thing.

But I also found a work around: some smartphones will host a USB "thumb" drive via their own usb port. You need to use a small adapter cable called an "OTG" cable.

Not all phones will do this; it seems that most of the later versions of Android will do it. In some cases, the phone will require the installation of an app, but my Samsung Galaxy S3 handles it just fine with its standard software, Android 4.3

Having this available both gives you backup and also lets you conserve memory on your phone if it is limited by not having an sd card slot.

The trend seems to be to include OTG capabilities on the more expensive smart phones and tablets. The mid/lower end smart phones and tablets usually don't have that capability.

This is also a walking (no pun intended) advertisement for solar chargers.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane