Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
Thanks to everyone for their responses!

I hope someday they develop a cure for Diabetes. I am fortunate enough to not have developed it personally, but one of my co-workers daughters developed it over the summer (Type I), and that's what spurred the whole conversation here at the office.

I've passed your idea's on to him, and he was very grateful! It at least gives him some options to at least buy his daughter some time in a prolonged emergency.

For prolonged emergencies where power may be out for days or months and a persons life is dependent on keeping any medicine cold, I would invest in about 300 to 400 watt solar panels, at least 2 x 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series (to get 12 volts), a 1000 watt inverter and a small apartment style fridge - more commonly known as a bar or dorm fridge.

The solar panels will provide enough amps per day - even on cloudy or shorter fall and winter days to keep the batteries charged enough and allow the fridge to run without any problem.

This basic setup could be put together for less then $1200.00 (not including taxes.) However the best thing about solar is, the more batteries and panels you add, the more power you have to run lights etc. Also, extra solar panels can be added singularity as money allows as they do not need to be purchased in a kit form.

Windy Nation 300 watt solar panel kit $500.00

3.2 cubic foot fridge $160.00

Xantrex 1000 watt inverter $235.00

Trojan T-105 Golf Cart Battery (x2 required) $250.00

Another alternative is an ARB 12 volt cooler. By using this, the above inverter and fridge would not be needed.

John Lubbock