Originally Posted By: JeffMc
You guys appear to know a lot about this, so I have some questions for you.

I've looked into high-end ice chests, such as the Yeti brand, for car camping, etc. But their prices ranges up to several hundred dollars for something I would only use on infrequent longer campouts, and I already have several mass market brand coolers that are usually adequate for my needs.

Beyond the usual things like keeping them full, limiting opening frequency, and using block or dry ice, what might practically be done to extend their range?

I plan on getting some Reflectix insulation (basically bubblewrap faced with foil on both sides) for a different project. Would it be worthwhile making a cooler over-jacket out of that? Or is most of the loss incurred by air leakage and opening? If so, would it make more sense to add a gasket and maybe some means of clamping the lid down tighter?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Practical experiment beats theory.
The effectiveness of an insulated container may be determined by a simple experiment.
Place a known amount of cubed ice from an ice maker into the insulated container and observe how it takes for the ice to melt.
If uncertain as to the effectiveness of adding an insulating jacket, then measure the time taken to melt say 5 kilos of ice with and without the insulating jacket.
I doubt that fixing the lid more tightly would help much because they are reasonably air tight anyway, but again if in doubt try the experiment.
The effectiveness of different brands or types of cooler may be compared in a similar way. Remember that bigger coolers are better, provided that they are full. If comparing coolers of different capacities I would use a weight of ice in proportion to the internal volume of the cooler.
The exact placement of the ice is not that important, but it must be consistent from one test to the next. As the intention is keep most or all of the inside of the cooler cold, the ice should be placed near the top.

Ideally conduct such tests indoors in a heated/conditioned room in order that the air temperature remains similar from one test to the next.

The time taken for the ice to melt may not accurately reflect conditions of use during an actual emergency, but IT IS a level playing field for comparison purposes.