Originally Posted By: JeffMc

I regret that you seem to have taken offense at my comments. I am at least passingly familiar with the main concepts of evolutionary biology, including Darwin's and later developments in that field.

Hey Jeff, no offense at your comments.

Way back in the early 1990's, my longtime GF at the time, wrote her Masters thesis on Darwin's theories and how the modern world has challenged, debunked many of those theories and also how many of them have stood the test of time despite better technological studies. As her thesis was researched and written before the dawn of the internet, we spent untold hours in libraries and sitting through many late hours at home, researching and reading through too many old and newer books in regards to Darwin's theories for her thesis paper. So needless to say, I have a far more better understanding (but obviously not at the Masters level) of Darwin. So when I read comments that allude to the cliche or memes of "Darwin award", "Darwin candidate" etc, I get a bit riled as most people have no idea what Darwin's theories were but use them way out of context.

Sorry that I jumped the gun and to conclusions. Hopefully this interesting thread continues!

PS. Darwin was a very sick man for many years of his life. Despite not having the benefit of modern medicine as we do, he still lived to the age of 73. Makes you wonder if we depend too much on modern medicine and the effect of not having easy access to it in a long term disaster situation would show any measurable higher death rate statistics.

John Lubbock