ICE

Instead of using loose ice cubes, fill used plastic bottles with water (not quite full), leave the cap loose and put in the freezer until frozen. Then tighten the cap and you can now store sideways if you wish. Then after the ice melts you have a bottle of pure water.

I know they say you shouldn't use old plastic bottles that have contained anything with sugar in them since some sugars seep into the plastic and later promote bacterial growth. However these bottles are going to be frozen so little bacteria is going to grow.

I store a number of these in my freezers since they slow down the warming of the freezer after a power outage. They are also handy when you need an ice chest for the day.

MEDS

For your meds supply as Jeanette mentioned some insurance companies will refill early even though they say 30 days. When you think about it, they have to since you can't wait until you take your last dose, to apply for a refill (for critical drugs). Sometimes refills, take a week or more, if the refills are out and they need to contact the Dr for a new prescription.

I have had several insurance companies that will allow refills 7 days in advance of the 30 days.

So, if you are systematic, you can easily build up a 60 day supply or even more. I set an calendar alarm after each refill for 23 days ahead, so I can get the next refill.

Granted it is a pain, but it can work.

Even if you can get 90 day supplies, your quantity is constantly dwindling until just before refill time you have only a week's supply.