that location is super-hot in the summer. I would not be surprised to hear max temps in the range 110-120 degrees C.

I feel really sorry for those people. I have been in that situation ONCE, and it was scary. the heat can literally overwhelm you.

the comments about a PLB are right on the money. But most tourists just "wing it". totally tragic.

This was a different incident (for me). But it's relevant. I remember riding my motorcycle on the Death Valley roads in summer ... maybe a year or two ago. But I wasn't stupid. I got up early and hit the road about 5am. It was COOL and beautiful then. By 8:30 am the HEAT was getting intense. I turned around (as PLANNED) and headed back to my point of origin. That was my plan for the day ... escape the heat.

BUT I REMEMBER. As I was heading back to "home", two cars went past me. Cruising thru Death Valley roads in the summertime. And I remember thinking - WHAT ARE THOSE PEOPLE THINKING? If their car breaks down out there - they are literally toast.

And that is the problem today. we cruise around in our nice air-conditioned vehicles, and we have literally NO IDEA how fierce that environment is ... out there.

TRAGIC.
Heat and dehydration is NO WAY to die.

Pete

Edited by Pete (08/08/15 03:38 AM)