Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
...Those heavy tools are appropriate for those venues in rescue or recovery. They may be useable by others with more training , but less prep sense.

A petite and non athletic person carrying about 10 -15 lbs for a possible 12-14 mile walk over a long period of hours will soon have pack fatigue which is why all my comments and suggestions were centered on keeping total weight to a minimum.

There's no rule that requires you to take everything you have with you on a long walk to safety. I have a few basic rescue tools and other items in or with my BOB/GHB that I expect would be very useful in some some situations, but not others, and I plan to cull through my kit and leave any unnecessary gear behind before walking any appreciable distance with it. Hopefully, I'll be able to leave things in my trunk or other reasonably secure location and recover them later.

Also, although my bag is only about 2400cc, it does have a real internal frame and load-bearing hip belt. I'm not a fan of daypacks that suspend all the weight from my shoulders, if I plan on walking very far. I have used the pack from my kit for backpacking trips several times, and it proved quite comfortable for long miles while well laden.