Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I find myself, respectfully, not entirely in agreement with nursemike. While my knowledge and planning are necessarily imperfect, I try to have a reasonably good grip on the most likely disasters where I live (Large Amounts of snow, damaging weather, loss of utilities) and I've prepared reasonably for same. I've tried to assemble a fairly eclectic variety of knowledge, skills and equipment for bringing my family through the most likely scenarios. For myself, a positive mental attitude comes from having built these things up and the experience of some potentially disastrous situations.

Could I do more? Sure. I'd love to lose some weight, train for and complete a Goruck Challenge, get WEMT certified, and just plain go hiking more often. But for all that I spend more time shooting than I strictly need to, my plans aren't entirely arbitrary.

Well said, sir.

I concur that I am generally not arbitrary in choosing which disasters are likely. I disagree in the sense that choosing to prepare for disasters is an arbitrary decision, if I consider statistics regarding mortality . I am far more likely to die a respiratory, oncological or cardiovascular death than a trauma death. The most dangerous places I visit may be the kitchen and bathroom. My treasured collection of edc and psk items will serve me poorly in these cases: better I should install floor level telephones in these rooms. I am going to the gym, losing weight, and minding my diet for the first time in 6 decades, but I still prefer looking at gun magazines more than looking at safe bathroom design magazines. Which ain't entirely rational.

Perhaps it is best not to take this survival stuff too seriously. The death rate has not changed: it is still one per person. There are no data to suggest that survivalists live longer than other folks. Perhaps the key to survival is to be part of a non-fragile community, implying that time spent at church is more valuable than time spent at the shooting range, or that donating supplies to the food banks might be more valuable than storing supplies in my redoubt.