Originally Posted By: nursemike

The consistent pattern of my survival planning behavior Is that I prepare for threats that allow me to do things I like to do anyway.
And I get to play with stuff that I like.

So, prepare for disaster exactly as you wish to do so. ...

I agree. Some people, who I respectfully term "survival hobbyists," just intrinsically enjoy all the planning, activities, and skill building and practice that are related to survival preparation, and a subset of those go on to find that working for maximal self-sufficiency and off-grid living is an intrinsically rewarding lifestyle.

Moreover, many of the rewards come without having to face some sort of actual disaster. Many preps are just as useful and convenient for resolving the petty annoyances and minor to moderate problems that occur in everyday life. Many also enhance enjoyable hobbies and family activities like camping, backpacking, shooting sports and gardening. Some also help with entirely personal disasters, as well. For example, having six month's or a year's food supply on hand would really help stretch the family budget in the event of an unexpected job loss. Being ready for "the Big One" means being ready for most of the little ones, too.

Edited by JeffMc (08/05/15 03:09 PM)