Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I don't understand how the knowledge of canning could be helpful. I can't can food if I don't have food to can.

That knowledge is not helpful for now either. Let me explain. The space used to store canning supplies can be better utilized to store food.

Jeanette Isabelle

The consistent pattern of my survival planning behavior Is that I prepare for threats that allow me to do things I like to do anyway. I like knives, so I prepare for disaster by acquiring or making knives.I like guns, so I acquire guns. I notice that lots of folks on the forum are pretty sure that disaster can be averted by skills in knot-tying, vegetable gardening, food storage, and identifying edible insects: they show remarkably little interest in guns or knives. To each his ever lovin', blue-eyed own.

Fearless Leader has devised truly ingenious collections of survival supplies for airplanes. These address the problems of a small aircraft forced down on land or sea in a comprehensive, redundant and creative fashion. And none of these kits could have saved Steve Fossett or JFK junior. Disasters are by their nature unpredictable. I chose to prepare for statistically unlikely disasters because it gives me a (laughably spurious) sense of control over the terrifying uncertainty of daily life. I store food, and I don't have to think about the 17.5 million families in this country who are food insecure right now, absent disaster.
And I get to play with stuff that I like.

So, prepare for disaster exactly as you wish to do so. At some level, all predictions of the future utility of disaster planning are arbitrary, and, as history shows in hurricanes and earthquakes, in Louisiana, New York, and Haiti, probably misguided.